How to Locate Happiness
By: Destiny Johnson
May is Mental Health Awareness Month. During this month reflecting on our mental health and working on our personal growth and happiness is important. Finding one’s happiness can feel like a difficult journey that requires a lot of hard work. I would like to reframe that thinking, and reflection is less about the level of difficulty and more about the intentionality, conscious effort and reaping the reward of having self-reflection. The willingness to make positive changes in your life acts but this action does not have to be dreadful. With manageable steps happiness can be acquired. Here are some small steps that create large impact related to your happiness:
1. Self – Awareness: By creating space to reflect on who you are, self-awareness will grow. Take out time to reflect on your values, interests, beliefs, life goals, and priorities. These elements will give you a greater understanding of yourself to cultivate joy and fulfillment in your life. It will also assist in positive mindset, decision making, and identify potential roadblocks that do not align with you and decrease happiness.
2. Appreciation and Gratitude: Make saying thank you and showing appreciation and gratitude a daily practice. If you begin focusing on the positive aspects of your life it will brighten your outlook. This practice can be as simple as writing down things you enjoy, or verbally recognize when positive things happen. Being ready to show appreciation or return kindness will shift your mindset and help you recognize the good in your life.
3. Manage Stress with Physical Health: Your physical well-being is significant to your mood and overall happiness. Prioritize activities that promote good physical health, such as engaging in regular exercise, consuming well balanced meals, drinking water, having a daily skin or hygiene routine, practice mindfulness or meditation, acquire a sufficient amount of sleep, and use relaxation techniques like deep breathing exercises, listening to music, or walking.
4. Meaningful Relationships: Surround yourself with positive people who support and uplift you. Nourish relationships where people invest time and effort in building and maintaining healthy and lasting relationships. These relationships can be with family, friends, co-workers, mentors, and loved ones. If you desire a meaningful connection start with curiosity and kindness. Try engaging in meaningful conversations and practice active listening. This will increase your understanding and empathy towards others.
5. Self – Care: Implement a weekly self-care plan without guilt or feeling selfish in which you prioritize your needs. During this set time you only care for yourself and engage in activities that bring you joy and tranquility. This includes alone time, reading books, engaging in hobbies, spending time in nature, practicing mindfulness, or any other creative outlet that nurtures peace.
Seek out a professional or therapist if you are finding it challenging to discover your happiness. Don’t hesitate, everyone can benefit from creating balance and fulfillment. Avedian Counseling Center has therapists and counselors that can provide guidance, support, and tools to help you navigate your journey towards happiness.
Remember, happiness is a worthy pursuit that persists throughout our lifespan and it’s normal to have highs and lows. Be patient with yourself, embrace positivity, trust the process, and celebrate your achievements along the way.
Balance gratitude and appreciation happiness healthy joy manage stress meaningful relationships mental health positive mindest